Delhi: Man jailed for 7 yrs in rape case
New Delhi: A man has been sentenced to seven years in jail for raping a girl on a false promise of marriage by a special fast track court here which noted that crime against women was rising and there was an "urgent need" to curb it.
The special fast track court, set up to try exclusively cases of sexual offences against women, also said that convict Vijay Kumar, a resident of Timarpur, was not entitled to a lesser punishment on the ground that he had got married in 2011 and the life of his wife will be ruined.
"Rather, the fact which emerges from the consideration of circumstances of the case in its totality is that the woman to whom the convict married on March 11, 2011 was also kept in the dark about his earlier liaison with the prosecutrix (victim) and he cannot be held entitled to any benefit at this score.
"Moreover, offences against women are on a rise and there is an urgent need to curb this tendency by awarding deterrent punishment to perpetrators of this grave offence," Additional Sessions Judge Kaveri Baweja said.
She also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on Kumar.
According to the prosecution, the girl had approached the police on March 11, 2011 saying that she was repeatedly raped by Kumar for about five years when she was a minor on a false promise of marriage.
She told the police that the accused used to forcefully make physical contact with her by mixing stupefying substance in her drink and after that assured her that he would marry her.
However on March 11, 2011, she came to know to that he was getting married to some other girl that day and lodged a complaint against him with the police, it said.
During the trial, Kumar had claimed that he was falsely implicated in the case.
Kumar claimed he was friendly with the girl but there was no physical relation between them.
The court, however, said it was clear from the girl`s statement that Kumar had physical relations with her after promising her marriage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day