Delhi may face water crisis from today
New Delhi: The national capital is likely
to face a huge water crisis from tomorrow as water supply to
the city from Upper Ganga canal has been stopped by an
agitating group of Jats in neighbouring Uttar Pradesh.
The agitating group, closed water supply from the Upper
Ganga Canal at Abupur from where water comes to Sonia Vihar
and Bhagirathi Water Treatment plants in the city which cater
to 40 per cent requirement of total water in Delhi.
"It is a very serious situation. The water supply will be
affected in many parts of Delhi. The Chief Secretary is
holding talks with officials in Uttar Pradesh to restore water
supply," a senior DJB official said.
He said the two plants cater to 40 per cent of the total
water requirement of the city.
"Now we are thinking of rationing of water to tide over
the situation," he said.
The Jats are protesting apparently in support of their
demand for reservations in central government jobs.
"The matter is being dealt at highest level. The UP
authorities have also informed the central government about
the situation," sources said.
Delhi Jal Board officials said South Delhi and West Delhi
would be the most affected because of the shut down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH