Delhi Metro completes 10 years
New Delhi: The city`s modern symbol of safe and comfortable travel, Delhi Metro will complete a decade of operations with a gift to its commuters- introduction of eight-coach trains that can carry more passengers in one trip.
Delhi Metro, which began operations with just 8 km on December 24, 2002, now has a network of 185 km and carries over 2 million passengers on an average day.
The eight-coach trains which would carry 600 additional commuters than the 2,200 capacity of a six-coach train will be inducted into service by Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit tomorrow at Central Park.
The first eight coach train will be introduced on the Jahangirpuri-HUDA City Centre corridor and this will be the first of a total of 68 eight coach trains which will be introduced on the Gurgaon and Noida lines.
As a special 10th anniversary gift for senior citizens and the differently-abled persons, Delhi Metro will allot more seats for them from tomorrow onwards.
Apart from existing reservation of four seats for old and physically challenged in each car of a Metro train; additional four seats will be earmarked for senior citizens and differently abled persons in the DT car (coaches with train operators cabin attached) and additional eight seats in the M car (the middle coaches).
Commenting on 10 years of the journey, Delhi Metro chief Mangu Singh said Delhi Metro was a dream which was very difficult to realise.
It was a dream which was awaited not only by the commuters of Delhi but by the whole nation.
"It`s now a reality, a reality which everyone is looking up to. This has all been possible because of the engineers, technicians and other officials who made this dream come into a reality," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?