Delhi Metro must have claims commissioner: HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday asked the Delhi Metro to appoint a claims commissioner so that people don`t have to "run around" for compensation.
Justice Manmohan pulled up Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) for not having a claims commissioner.
It warned that the court "will castigate the Metro for not appointing a claims commissioner".
The DMRC counsel told the court it is considering appointing a claims commissioner and for needs more time for this.
The court, while granting time to DMRC, said: "You must have claims commissioner. Statue says there must be claims commissioner. People are running around, they don`t know where to go to claim compensation. What`s the difficulty in appointing a claims commissioner? Everyday these problems are arising. Metro must be alive to this."
The court will hear the matter on March 25.
The court was hearing the plea of a mother who lost her son in an accident when he was climbing down the escalator at Chawri Bazar Metro station and is seeking Rs 10 lakh in compensation.
Asiya Begum moved the court saying the DMRC rejected her application last March, reasoning that it was not the Metro`s fault and her son died due to his own negligence.
Khan Mohammad (25) was travelling on the Metro on December 11, 2011 with a valid ticket. While climbing down the escalator and due to a huge crowd, he fell down the escalator which resulted in his death, the plea said.
"It is the duty of the Metro authorities to have arranged adequate staff to prevent any mishaps at the Metro stations in which they failed, and there being no proper medical support available, Khan died. It is the authority`s duty to compensate for the same," the plea said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’