Delhi Metro parking areas to be bought under CCTV cameras
New Delhi: Parking lots next to Delhi Metro
stations will be brought under CCTV surveillance besides
"hidden and obscure" areas inside the building, after a recent
security audit of the modern transport system outlined certain
The audit, conducted by a joint team of central security
agencies, has found that parking lots next to big and vital
station complexes like Connaught Place, Patel Chowk, Karol
Bagh among others should be brought under the watch of the
CCTV cameras equipped with TPZ (Tilt, Pan, Zoom) facility.
While the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) secures the Metro stations from inside, the Delhi police
guards their premises.
Certain locations inside the stations like areas behind
bend of a wall, areas in front of lifts will also be covered
by the Close Circuit Tele Vision (CCTV) cameras, sources said.
They said almost 500-600 CCTV cameras might be needed to
secure the areas identified at 82 operational stations, but
the actual numbers are still to be worked out.
In case an unauthorised activity is detected by the
cameras, the Quick Reaction Teams (QRTs) stationed outside the
stations could be informed to meet any exigency. Till now,
there is no such system and the Delhi Police patrol is the
norm, sources said.
The CCTV cameras are monitored by both the CISF and
the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) staff at different
Certain areas in stations which were beyond an
obstruction like a wall or pillar and places declared
"inaccessible" by the Metro authorities will be brought under
CCTV surveillance, they said.
The audit has also asked the CCTV control rooms to
enhance their capacity to source in more video data and store
them for longer periods.
While installing CCTVs at more locations will not only
plug security loopholes, but also help Metro authorities curb
thefts in their vicinity. The number of stations are expected
to increase to 141 by October, when the Commonwealth Games
will begin, they said.
Keeping in view the expansion of Metro operations to
states like Uttar Pradesh (Noida) and Haryana (Gurgaon), the
CISF will also induct almost 16,000 security personnel.
Delhi Metro`s new Bombardier coaches already have
CCTVs installed in them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof