Delhi Metro records highest ridership on June 13
New Delhi: The Delhi Metro recorded its highest ever ridership on June 13 when about 17 lakh people commuted during the day, an official said.
The figure of 16,93,488 surpassed the previous record of 16,66,569 set on February 14, added the official.
"The steep increase could be linked to the summer season being at its peak so far and also the admission process in Delhi University that was under way," a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) official said on Friday.
"The Vishwavidyalaya Metro station recorded 52 percent increase in daily footfalls as 42,000 commuters used it in June compared to 27,55 last month," he added.
The average ridership, which was around 15.5 lakh during weekdays till last month, has touched 16.5 lakh in June, said the DMRC official.
The DMRC also witnessed the second highest ridership figures on June 14 when 16,73,801 people travelled by the Metro, he added.
The Delhi Metro is operational on six lines where more than 2,500 train trips are made each day covering over 69,000 km a day.
"The phase-III of the network is expected to cover about 108 km. By the time Delhi Metro network becomes 295 km by 2015, it will be one of the fastest expanding Metro networks in the world carrying about 40 lakh passengers," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway