close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Delhi Metro rings in the new year under new chief

Delhi Metro rang in the New Year under a new Managing Director after E Sreedharan hung up his boots with the task cut out very clearly.



New Delhi: Delhi Metro rang in the New Year
under a new Managing Director after E Sreedharan hung up his
boots with the task cut out very clearly for his successor
like beginning work on the ambitious Phase-III and maintaning
the operation standards of the Metro.

Mangu Singh took over as the new Delhi Metro chief
yesterday from Sreedharan after he retired after 16-year
service in the organisation.

Singh is the second Managing Director of the Delhi Metro
after Sreedharan, who joined the organisation in 1995 and
constructed over 190 km of network in the capital.
The first challenge before Singh, a veteran civil
engineer who oversaw the construction of the high-speed
Airport Express Metro in the capital, is to award over 20
civil contracts of the Phase-III project that envisages
connecting another 107 km of the capital with the Metro.

The phase-III project has been approved by the Centre at
a cost of Rs 35,000 crore with 40 per cent of funding from
Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA), but actual
work is yet to start on most of the corridors in Phase-III.

Delhi Metro officials said the plan is to finalise and
award all the 20-odd contracts in the next four months so that
construction work on them start immedately after the
contractor is finalised.

Phase-III has a 2016 deadline and under Sreedharan, the
Delhi Metro had the distinction of completing all projects
well before schedule.
The construction of the Phase-III project would provide
an opportunity to Singh, who was involved in Kolkata Metro
project, to prove his mettle both as an engineer and
administrator.

`Mission nursery admission` begins in Delhi tomorrow
New Delhi, Jan 1 (PTI) With the nursery admission process
in Delhi starting from tomorrow, parents are all set for the
winter scramble to secure a seat for their tiny tots in
schools of their choice.

Keeping in mind the harrowing experience they had last
year, many parents joined online to alert others on how they
could avoid unnecessary difficulties that often put hurdles in
their "mission admission".

"Expect long queues outside schools without any sitting
arrangement and it may take from two to three hours in few
schools to get the forms. So ready for that. Don`t take your
tiny tots along with you," advices Pramod Kumar in a messaged
posted on www.admissionsnursery.com.

Kumar, who claims to have applied in 23 schools for his
child`s admission last year, also suggests parents to read the
forms carefully, fill them up and submit the same day to
avoid multiple trips to the school.

"Going by my experience last year, I would suggest that
parents reach school early," says Asha in her message to the
parents.

Maharam, another parent on the forum, has posted a format
of the affidavit required for applying in the first boy child
category.

"There has been huge discussion on many such issues that
can help parents to do their homework before plunging into
this battle for admission," says Sumit Vohra, the founder of
the website.

"These discussions are not only making parents aware about
the intricacies of the admission process, but also making the
entire process easier for them," he said.

As per the guidelines issued by Directorate of Education
of Delhi, the forms will be made available from January 2 to
16, and the entire process of admission will have to be
completed by March 31. The schools will have to publish the
first list of selected candidates by February 1 and second
list by February 28.

PTI

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions