Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators
New Delhi: The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) will install 800 more lifts and escalators at Metro stations for easy and hassle free movement of commuters, a Delhi Metro official said on Thursday.
"We will add 800 more lifts and escalators which will provide safe and convenient movement inside the Metro stations in upcoming Phase III," a DMRC official said.
The Phase-III, to be completed by 2016, will add another 117 km to the Metro network. Metro stretches in this phase are Mukundpur to Yamuna Vihar, Janakpuri West to Kalindi Kunj, Central Secretariat to Kashmere Gate and Jahangirpuri to Badli.
At present, DMRC operates 399 lifts and 490 escalators across its 140 Metro stations.
According to DMRC, every year about 72 crore Metro commuters use these lifts and escalators while traversing the Delhi Metro. On a daily basis, 12 lakh people use escalators while three lakh use lifts.
"The DMRC has provided a safe and hassle-free journey to all Metro commuters without registering any incident of trapping or failure in 2011," the official said.
Apart from this, every year DMRC observe a `safety awareness week` for elevators and escalators from Jan 1-7, when commuters will be guided to have a safe ride.
"Station staff along with 125 volunteers of Bharat Scouts and Guides of Northern Railways are deputed at the stations about the safe use of elevators and escalators at all the Delhi Metro stations," DMRC official added.
As of now, the Delhi Metro makes over 2,400 trips per day, traversing about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on working days. By 2016, it is expected to carry about four million passengers daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog