Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators
New Delhi: The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) will install 800 more lifts and escalators at Metro stations for easy and hassle free movement of commuters, a Delhi Metro official said on Thursday.
"We will add 800 more lifts and escalators which will provide safe and convenient movement inside the Metro stations in upcoming Phase III," a DMRC official said.
The Phase-III, to be completed by 2016, will add another 117 km to the Metro network. Metro stretches in this phase are Mukundpur to Yamuna Vihar, Janakpuri West to Kalindi Kunj, Central Secretariat to Kashmere Gate and Jahangirpuri to Badli.
At present, DMRC operates 399 lifts and 490 escalators across its 140 Metro stations.
According to DMRC, every year about 72 crore Metro commuters use these lifts and escalators while traversing the Delhi Metro. On a daily basis, 12 lakh people use escalators while three lakh use lifts.
"The DMRC has provided a safe and hassle-free journey to all Metro commuters without registering any incident of trapping or failure in 2011," the official said.
Apart from this, every year DMRC observe a `safety awareness week` for elevators and escalators from Jan 1-7, when commuters will be guided to have a safe ride.
"Station staff along with 125 volunteers of Bharat Scouts and Guides of Northern Railways are deputed at the stations about the safe use of elevators and escalators at all the Delhi Metro stations," DMRC official added.
As of now, the Delhi Metro makes over 2,400 trips per day, traversing about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on working days. By 2016, it is expected to carry about four million passengers daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees