Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators
New Delhi: The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) will install 800 more lifts and escalators at Metro stations for easy and hassle free movement of commuters, a Delhi Metro official said on Thursday.
"We will add 800 more lifts and escalators which will provide safe and convenient movement inside the Metro stations in upcoming Phase III," a DMRC official said.
The Phase-III, to be completed by 2016, will add another 117 km to the Metro network. Metro stretches in this phase are Mukundpur to Yamuna Vihar, Janakpuri West to Kalindi Kunj, Central Secretariat to Kashmere Gate and Jahangirpuri to Badli.
At present, DMRC operates 399 lifts and 490 escalators across its 140 Metro stations.
According to DMRC, every year about 72 crore Metro commuters use these lifts and escalators while traversing the Delhi Metro. On a daily basis, 12 lakh people use escalators while three lakh use lifts.
"The DMRC has provided a safe and hassle-free journey to all Metro commuters without registering any incident of trapping or failure in 2011," the official said.
Apart from this, every year DMRC observe a `safety awareness week` for elevators and escalators from Jan 1-7, when commuters will be guided to have a safe ride.
"Station staff along with 125 volunteers of Bharat Scouts and Guides of Northern Railways are deputed at the stations about the safe use of elevators and escalators at all the Delhi Metro stations," DMRC official added.
As of now, the Delhi Metro makes over 2,400 trips per day, traversing about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on working days. By 2016, it is expected to carry about four million passengers daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened