Delhi MLA shot at, remains critical
New Delhi: Najafgarh Independent MLA Bharat Singh was shot by unidentified men near his own party office on Saturday.
Singh has been admitted to Chanan Devi Hospital in Janakpuri here. The MLA, who was hit by two bullets, is said to be in a critical condition.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today discussed the security scenario in the capital with City Police Commissioner BK Gupta in the wake of the incident and demands from Congress legislators for enhanced personal security.
The meeting was held on the direction of Speaker Yoganand Shastri after MLAs demand police protection citing increased "threat perception" while having to deal with difficult situations in public interest.
Gupta met Dikshit hours after MLA Bharat Singh was shot at by unidentified men at his office in southwest Delhi today.
A passerby Dharampal was also injured in the incident which took place near the MLA`s office in Najafgarh`s Sarangpur village at around 8:30 am, a senior police official said.
According to the official, four to five people came and opened fire at Singh, the 35-year-old MLA from Najafgarh, who suffered a bullet injury.
Dharampal, a villager who was passing through the area also, was caught in the firing and got injured.
Both were rushed to the hospital and are undergoing treatment.
"We are investigating the matter. No arrests have been made," the official said.
Singh is the brother of MCD councillor Krishan Pahalwan against whom there are several criminal cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Mayawati-Dayashankar Singh row: BJP women leaders to protest in Lucknow against BSP today
- Delhi Police arrests DP Yadav in connection with betting racket
- Sushma Swaraj to make last ditch effort to save Indian facing execution in Indonesia today
- Watch: Jeff Williams shares wide view of Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming from space!
- 1st Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...