Delhi MLAs demand security cover, cite attacks on colleagues
New Delhi: Large number of MLAs cutting across party lines on Tuesday demanded adequate security cover for them, citing attacks on legislators in last few months.
Raising the issue in the Assembly, LJP MLA Shoaib Iqbal said following a murder attempt on INLD MLA Bharat Singh in June, the Delhi Chief Minister had assured the legislators of proper security cover but it has remained a promise only.
Singh was shot at in south-west Delhi by four people.
Iqbal said MLAs have been facing threats from anti-social elements and Delhi government must take up the matter with appropriate authorities to allay apprehension of the legislators.
A number of MLAs supported Iqbal`s demand and said they must be given police protection.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said she has already taken up the issue with Delhi Police and city government is even ready to incur the expenses for providing security cover to the MLAs.
"I have already said that Delhi Government is ready to pay the money to Delhi Police for providing security to the MLAs. We conveyed our views to the Delhi Police. The police have not got back to us. We cannot train police. We cannot raise a force," Dikshit said.
Speaker Yoganand Shastri asked the Chief Minister to take up the issue again with Delhi Police. "All the loopholes in the security system will be removed," he assured the MLAs.
The LJP legislator said if Delhi Police cannot provide the security cover due to shortage of manpower, Delhi government should explore the option of taking services of paramilitary forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy