Delhi MLAs demand security cover, cite attacks on colleagues
New Delhi: Large number of MLAs cutting across party lines on Tuesday demanded adequate security cover for them, citing attacks on legislators in last few months.
Raising the issue in the Assembly, LJP MLA Shoaib Iqbal said following a murder attempt on INLD MLA Bharat Singh in June, the Delhi Chief Minister had assured the legislators of proper security cover but it has remained a promise only.
Singh was shot at in south-west Delhi by four people.
Iqbal said MLAs have been facing threats from anti-social elements and Delhi government must take up the matter with appropriate authorities to allay apprehension of the legislators.
A number of MLAs supported Iqbal`s demand and said they must be given police protection.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said she has already taken up the issue with Delhi Police and city government is even ready to incur the expenses for providing security cover to the MLAs.
"I have already said that Delhi Government is ready to pay the money to Delhi Police for providing security to the MLAs. We conveyed our views to the Delhi Police. The police have not got back to us. We cannot train police. We cannot raise a force," Dikshit said.
Speaker Yoganand Shastri asked the Chief Minister to take up the issue again with Delhi Police. "All the loopholes in the security system will be removed," he assured the MLAs.
The LJP legislator said if Delhi Police cannot provide the security cover due to shortage of manpower, Delhi government should explore the option of taking services of paramilitary forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH