Delhi MLAs demand security cover, cite attacks on colleagues
New Delhi: Large number of MLAs cutting across party lines on Tuesday demanded adequate security cover for them, citing attacks on legislators in last few months.
Raising the issue in the Assembly, LJP MLA Shoaib Iqbal said following a murder attempt on INLD MLA Bharat Singh in June, the Delhi Chief Minister had assured the legislators of proper security cover but it has remained a promise only.
Singh was shot at in south-west Delhi by four people.
Iqbal said MLAs have been facing threats from anti-social elements and Delhi government must take up the matter with appropriate authorities to allay apprehension of the legislators.
A number of MLAs supported Iqbal`s demand and said they must be given police protection.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said she has already taken up the issue with Delhi Police and city government is even ready to incur the expenses for providing security cover to the MLAs.
"I have already said that Delhi Government is ready to pay the money to Delhi Police for providing security to the MLAs. We conveyed our views to the Delhi Police. The police have not got back to us. We cannot train police. We cannot raise a force," Dikshit said.
Speaker Yoganand Shastri asked the Chief Minister to take up the issue again with Delhi Police. "All the loopholes in the security system will be removed," he assured the MLAs.
The LJP legislator said if Delhi Police cannot provide the security cover due to shortage of manpower, Delhi government should explore the option of taking services of paramilitary forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town