Delhi, Moscow sign MoU to facilitate cooperation
New Delhi: Delhi and Russian capital Moscow on Friday signed a memorandum of understanding to strengthen cooperation in 11 key areas including culture, healthcare, education, transport management, trade and housing.
The signing of the MoU between the two capital cities also marked the beginning of a three-day cultural celebration Days of Moscow in Delhi under which a series of cultural, academic and business events will take place in the city.
The MoU was signed by Sergey Cheremin, Minister in charge of the International Economic Relations of Moscow government, and Urban Development Minister of Delhi Government Arvinder Singh Lovely.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, top officials of Delhi government and members of a parliamentary delegation from Russia were present on the occasion.
The MoU will facilitate cooperation between the Delhi government and Government of Moscow for next three years. Officials said delegation from both cities will visit each other with aim to establish direct contact between the two cities in various areas.
"Russia has had been the closest friend of India and there have been close cultural ties between the two countries. The culture of both countries have always attracted people of our countries. This agreement will pave way for collaboration in many areas," said Dikshit.
Welcoming the pact, Lovely said collaboration with Moscow will help Delhi in addressing major issues like sewage management and transport management.
To promote and facilitate the economic and trade relations between the two cities, a business forum was also organised today.
The forum was attended by Russian parliamentary delegation led by Sergey Cheremin, Minister in charge of the International Economic Relations. The Delhi delegation was led by Power and Industries Minister Harun Yusuf.
The colourful cultural extravaganza, `Days of Moscow in Delhi` is been organised by Department of Art, Culture, and Languages of Delhi Government along with DSIIDC (Delhi State Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand