Delhi, neighbouring cities under threat: IG
Chandigarh: National capital Delhi and
prominent cities around it, including Chandigarh, are under threat of possible terror strikes, a senior police officer said here Thursday.
Answering questions at a media conference here,
Chandigarh IG P K Srivastava said, "There are intelligence inputs on possible terror strikes in Delhi and prominent cities around it."
He, however, assured that the police had tightened its
security in the city and has been sensitising all sections of
society on possible terror strike.
Srivastava, who was accompanied by top police brass
including city SSP Naunihal Singh, said that police is keeping
a close watch on purchase of Ammonium Nitrate in the region.
"It has come to light that Ammonium Nitrate is abundantly used by local modules in the country for causing
terror strikes," he said.
Since Punjab and Haryana are agrarian states and
Ammonium Nitrate is largely used in fertilizers and manures
here, the Chandigarh police will coordinate with the
neighbouring states to track bulk purchase of Ammonium Nitrate
by individuals, he added.
He said that the city police had procured four Electronic Vaver Devices (EVDs) which are being used in the
city to detect materials used in bomb explosions, including
RDX and Ammonium Nitrate.
Besides, dog squads are being pressed into service to
check any eventuality, he said adding that "dogs are more
capable" to sniff bomb devices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers
- Burhan Wani's father meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar