Delhi not unsafe for women: Govt
New Delhi: Dismissing the notion that Delhi was unsafe for women, government Wednesday said the national capital stands at 16th-17th place as compared to other Indian cities and noted that women have become more "confident" in registering complaints at police stations.
"It is not as bad as compared to other states...Delhi stands at 16th-17th place as compared to other states," Minister of State for Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran told Rajya Sabha during Question Hour.
He said several measures have been taken to check crime in the city following the gangrape incident here in December last year and that a "large number of women are going confidently to the police station and registering complaints".
"If you say that crime against women has increased, it is because of these complaints," he said.
The Minister said departmental proceedings have been drawn against police officers for not registering complaints including against IPS officers.
He said that following the Delhi rape case, "Two ACP-rank officers have been suspended besides an inspector and a constable."
To a question on security of women from North Eastern states in the Capital, he said, "All necessary steps are being taken to protect the interest of ladies from NE in the Capital."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!