Delhi not unsafe for women: Govt
New Delhi: Dismissing the notion that Delhi was unsafe for women, government Wednesday said the national capital stands at 16th-17th place as compared to other Indian cities and noted that women have become more "confident" in registering complaints at police stations.
"It is not as bad as compared to other states...Delhi stands at 16th-17th place as compared to other states," Minister of State for Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran told Rajya Sabha during Question Hour.
He said several measures have been taken to check crime in the city following the gangrape incident here in December last year and that a "large number of women are going confidently to the police station and registering complaints".
"If you say that crime against women has increased, it is because of these complaints," he said.
The Minister said departmental proceedings have been drawn against police officers for not registering complaints including against IPS officers.
He said that following the Delhi rape case, "Two ACP-rank officers have been suspended besides an inspector and a constable."
To a question on security of women from North Eastern states in the Capital, he said, "All necessary steps are being taken to protect the interest of ladies from NE in the Capital."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'