Delhi okays bill to prevent demolitions till 2014
New Delhi: Aimed at preventing sealing and demolition of a large number of unauthorised structures in Delhi, the Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved a bill in this regard to be introduced in Parliament.
"The proposed Bill seeks to maintain the status quo up to
2014 in regard to unauthorised colonies including village
abadis (settlements) and their extensions, storages,
warehouses, and godowns for farm produce beside some other
categories," said a senior Urban Development Ministry
Besides, the official said it would also help to
facilitate long term planning for providing basic
infrastructure in these colonies.
This is the second time in a year that the government has
undertaken the similar move to protect these unauthorised
colonies in the capital.
Earlier in March, the National Capital Territory of
Delhi Laws (Special Provision) Act, 2011 was enacted for
preventing demolition of several residential and commercial
establishments in the capital.
"The Act also known as Delhi Special Laws was effective
till December 31, this year after that it was required to be
extended," said the official adding "so a Bill was proposed to
maintain the status quo till 2014."
The Bill also proposes to extend the relief to urban
Delhi Special Laws enacted in 2008, was extended in
2009, 2010 and 2011.
Commercial establishments operating illegally in farm
houses and other places in nearly 400 rural areas and
urbanised villages of Delhi are expected to get a reprieve
after the enactment of the proposed Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey