Delhi: Old advocate acquitted of raping client
New Delhi: A 70-year-old advocate has been acquitted by a Delhi court of the charges of raping his client.
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau absolved the advocate of rape charges saying the alleged victim`s testimony does not inspire confidence and the evidence placed on record by the prosecution was insufficient to hold him guilty.
The court also said there was an inordinate delay of five years in lodging the FIR against the accused without any valid explanation.
The court also noted that the advocate, who represented the 33-year-old woman in her matrimonial disputes with her first husband, has been engaged in several litigations with her since 2006, but she did not make any allegation of sexual harassment against him till 2010.
Yet in an FIR lodged in 2011, she alleged that between August 2004 and July 2006, the advocate often used to confine her in his office and residence and rape her and threaten her not to disclose the incident to anyone, the court noted.
The court said the allegations made against the accused by the woman are "highly vague" in terms of details of the incident which makes her testimony "unconvincing, unbelievable and unreliable".
Singh had been representing the woman in a case of domestic violence filed by her against her first husband. The relations of the accused and the woman, who later on remarried, turned bitter and they were engaged in several litigations including cheque bounce cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...