Delhi: Over 2,400 shark teeth recovered from passenger
New Delhi: Over 2,400 shark teeth have been recovered from a passenger by Custom officials at the Indira Gandhi International airport here.
Acting on intelligence inputs, Aditya Surendra Gupta was intercepted at the green channel and found carrying 2,445 shark teeth, the import of which is prohibited under Wild Life Protection Act, 1972, a customs official said in a statement.
He said the shark teeth have been seized and "their samples have been referred to the Wild Crime Control Bureau, which said that the same may be referred to the Zoological Survey of India, Kolkata".
The value of the seized teeth, which is used in jewellery among others, is about Rs 3-5 lakh in the international market, the official said.
In a separate incident, officials seized electronic goods, including i-phones and i-pads, branded wrist watches and purses worth about Rs 14 lakh from two passengers in the airport.
Akash Bedi was found carrying 19 i-phones, 3 i-pads and 5 smart phones and trying to evade customs duty. "The goods valued at Rs 6.81 lakh were seized under Section 110 of Customs Act, 1962," the customs department said in a statement.
According to the Section, if the proper has reason to believe that any goods are liable to confiscation under this Act, he may seize such goods.
In a third incident, a passenger, Smita Parikh, was intercepted while passing through the green channel carrying branded wrist watches and ladies purses worth Rs 6.97 lakh, a customs official said.
"All three cases were booked by customs officials on July 24. No passenger has been arrested in the cases," another customs official said.
Earlier this month, a man was arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle in gold and silver jewellery and electronic goods estimated at about Rs 21 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing