Delhi: Over 2,400 shark teeth recovered from passenger
New Delhi: Over 2,400 shark teeth have been recovered from a passenger by Custom officials at the Indira Gandhi International airport here.
Acting on intelligence inputs, Aditya Surendra Gupta was intercepted at the green channel and found carrying 2,445 shark teeth, the import of which is prohibited under Wild Life Protection Act, 1972, a customs official said in a statement.
He said the shark teeth have been seized and "their samples have been referred to the Wild Crime Control Bureau, which said that the same may be referred to the Zoological Survey of India, Kolkata".
The value of the seized teeth, which is used in jewellery among others, is about Rs 3-5 lakh in the international market, the official said.
In a separate incident, officials seized electronic goods, including i-phones and i-pads, branded wrist watches and purses worth about Rs 14 lakh from two passengers in the airport.
Akash Bedi was found carrying 19 i-phones, 3 i-pads and 5 smart phones and trying to evade customs duty. "The goods valued at Rs 6.81 lakh were seized under Section 110 of Customs Act, 1962," the customs department said in a statement.
According to the Section, if the proper has reason to believe that any goods are liable to confiscation under this Act, he may seize such goods.
In a third incident, a passenger, Smita Parikh, was intercepted while passing through the green channel carrying branded wrist watches and ladies purses worth Rs 6.97 lakh, a customs official said.
"All three cases were booked by customs officials on July 24. No passenger has been arrested in the cases," another customs official said.
Earlier this month, a man was arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle in gold and silver jewellery and electronic goods estimated at about Rs 21 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year