Delhi: Permit of 3,300 autorickshaws cancelled
New Delhi: Cracking the whip, Delhi
government has cancelled the permits of nearly 3,300
autorickshaws for failing to comply with the prescribed
Officials in the Transport Department said these
autorickshaws failed to apply for smart card-based permits
within the stipulated deadline.
All permit holders of autorickshaws in the city were
told in November 2009 to apply for smart card-based permits as
part of the government`s efforts to maintain proper records of
Despite extending the date for applying for smart
card-based permits several times in the last 18 months, 3,290
permit holders failed to apply for the same following which
the Transport Department has decided to cancel their permits
with effect from Sunday, they said.
The government had decided to introduce smart
card-based permits to keep digital records of the
autorickshaws, including offences committed by auto drivers.
According to official figures, Delhi has about 55,000
autorickshaws at present.
Following persistent demands by auto unions, Delhi
government had effected a 35 per cent hike in auto fare in
June last year but had warned them that they will face action
if they fail to improve their services.
The government had also told auto unions that permits
will be cancelled if the autorickshaw owners fail to install
Global Positioning System (GPS) in their vehicles.
However, auto owners have not heeded to the
instruction so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter