Delhi petrol pump dealers threaten to go on indefinite strike
New Delhi: Petrol pump dealers in Delhi
Sunday threatened to go on indefinite strike from June 14 to
protest hike in VAT on diesel that has made the fuel costlier
in the national capital compared to the neighbouring states.
"Our pleas to the Delhi government have gone unheeded, so
we are left with no option but to go on indefinite strike,"
Delhi NCR Petrol Dealers Association President Ajay Bansal
On May 14, the petrol pump dealers had closed their
shutters for 24 hours pressing for their demand.
"The pumps will remain shut on every Monday beginning May
24," he said, adding, "If our demands are not met we will go
on indefinite strike from June 14."
Bansal said sales are drying up as the differential
between diesel prices in Delhi and Haryana is nearly Rs 4 per
In June 2008, Haryana reduced VAT on diesel to 8.8 per
cent from 12 per cent, thereby making it cheaper than Delhi
where VAT on fuel was 12.5 per cent.
"From 13.5 crore litres a month, the sales of diesel in
Delhi came down to 8.5 crore litres a month (loss of 37 per
cent)," he said.
The already "bleeding" dealers were dealt with another
blow when the Delhi government from April 1 raised VAT on
diesel to 20 per cent. "This has resulted in a difference of
almost Rs 4 per litre in the prices of diesel between Delhi
and Haryana," Bansal said.
Delhi is bordered from all sides, but east, by Haryana.
The increase in VAT has made diesel in Delhi more expensive
than even Uttar Pradesh, which is east of Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings