Delhi petrol pumps closed to protest VAT hike on diesel
New Delhi: All dealer-operated petrol pumps in Delhi closed their shutters Monday to protest the increase in VAT on diesel, which has made the fuel costlier in the national capital compared to neighbouring Haryana.
"We are trying to make the Delhi Government see reason that the difference in rates in Delhi and Haryana was huge and needs to be eliminated," Delhi NCR Petrol Dealers Association President Ajay Bansal told reporters here.
Of the 410 petrol pumps in Delhi, only 14 outlets owned and operated by oil companies are functioning, he said.
All dealer-operated pumps closed shop for 24 hours, starting 0600 hours, today.
Bansal said the pump dealers will down shutters every Monday and if their demands are still not met, they would go on an indefinite strike from June 14.
Earlier petrol pump dealers had on May 14 closed their shutters for 24 hours to press for their demand.
"The pumps will remain shut on every Monday beginning May 24," he said. "If our demands are not met we will go an indefinite strike from June 14."
Bansal said sales was drying up as differential in diesel price in Delhi and Haryana is almost Rs 4 per litre.
In June 2008, Haryana reduced VAT on diesel to 8.8 per cent from 12 per cent, thereby making the fuel cheaper in the state than in Delhi where VAT on fuel is 12.5 per cent.
"From 13.5 crore litres a month, diesel sales in Delhi came down to 8.5 crore litres a month (loss of 37 per cent)," he said.
Already "bleeding" dealers were further dealt a body blow when the Delhi Government from April 1 raised VAT on diesel to 20 per cent.
"This has resulted in a difference of almost Rs 4 per litre in the price of diesel between Delhi and Haryana," Bansal said.
Delhi is bordered on all sides, but East, by Haryana. The increase in VAT has made diesel in Delhi more expensive than even Uttar Pradesh, which is east of Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars