Delhi Police awarded Rs 22,000 compensation
New Delhi: The office of the Commissioner and the Deputy Commissioner of Delhi Police have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 22,000 by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here in a road mishap in which a PCR van was rammed from behind and suffered damage.
MACT Presiding Officer Nirja Bhatia directed New India Assurance Company Limited, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay the amount to the official authorities.
"An amount of Rs 22,708 is passed in favour of the petitioners (Delhi Police Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner (PCR)) and against the respondents.
"The insurance company is directed to discharge the liability of the award amount within a period of 30 days," the tribunal said.
The order of the Tribunal came on a petition filed by the senior police officials stating that on June 3, 2004 one Toyota Qualis PCR van was parked on Mathura Road here when a rashly-driven truck hit a SUV parked behind the PCR van.
The impact with which the SUV was hit by the truck was so strong that it rammed into the PCR van from behind and caused damage to it, the police said.
The driver of the offending truck, Neeraj, a Haryana native, denied the accident had been caused by his vehicle and that he was the driver of the offending vehicle.
The Tribunal, however, dismissed his submission saying Neeraj would have filed a complaint or pleaded false implication had he not been involved in the accident.
It added the same was not the case here and that even the owner of the truck had deposed that the vehicle was being plied by Neeraj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25