Delhi Police Commissioner moves CAT
New Delhi: Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar has moved the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) here apparently aggrieved over non-inclusion of his name among the three officers shortlisted for being considered as the next CBI Director.
Kumar, a 1976 batch IPS officer, has approached the Tribunal questioning the procedure for picking the three officers and excluding his name for the top post of country`s premier investigating agency, official sources said.
The CAT is likely to hear the matter later this week, they said. CBI Director A P Singh`s tenure ends on November 30.
Kumar`s name does not figure in the officers shortlisted by the Central Vigilance Commission for selection as the next CBI Director.
Kumar is credited with cracking the case relating to the assassination of Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh, solving of American Center shootout of 2002 which led to extradition of Aftab Ansari from Gulf, the Bombay blast and UTI scam.
The CVC-headed selection committee has cleared a panel of three senior IPS officials including Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) force Director General Ranjit Sinha, a 1974-batch IPS officer of Bihar cadre; Director General of National Investigation Agency SC Sinha (Haryana:1975); and former UP DG Atul (UP:1976).
Their names have been put before the Appointments Committee of Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the sources said.
As per the norms, a six-member committee led by Central Vigilance Commissioner selects three officers for the post of CBI Director.The committee comprises Home Secretary, Personnel Secretary, incumbent CBI Director and two Vigilance Commissioners.
The selected officer gets a fixed tenure of two years as the CBI Director.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday