Delhi Police Commissioner moves CAT
New Delhi: Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar has moved the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) here apparently aggrieved over non-inclusion of his name among the three officers shortlisted for being considered as the next CBI Director.
Kumar, a 1976 batch IPS officer, has approached the Tribunal questioning the procedure for picking the three officers and excluding his name for the top post of country`s premier investigating agency, official sources said.
The CAT is likely to hear the matter later this week, they said. CBI Director A P Singh`s tenure ends on November 30.
Kumar`s name does not figure in the officers shortlisted by the Central Vigilance Commission for selection as the next CBI Director.
Kumar is credited with cracking the case relating to the assassination of Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh, solving of American Center shootout of 2002 which led to extradition of Aftab Ansari from Gulf, the Bombay blast and UTI scam.
The CVC-headed selection committee has cleared a panel of three senior IPS officials including Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) force Director General Ranjit Sinha, a 1974-batch IPS officer of Bihar cadre; Director General of National Investigation Agency SC Sinha (Haryana:1975); and former UP DG Atul (UP:1976).
Their names have been put before the Appointments Committee of Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the sources said.
As per the norms, a six-member committee led by Central Vigilance Commissioner selects three officers for the post of CBI Director.The committee comprises Home Secretary, Personnel Secretary, incumbent CBI Director and two Vigilance Commissioners.
The selected officer gets a fixed tenure of two years as the CBI Director.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31