Delhi Police Commissioner to be summoned by transport panel
New Delhi: The Commissioner of Police Neeraj Kumar will be summoned to appear before a Parliamentary Committee in the Delhi gang-rape case, third such summon in the case.
"We have decided to call the Delhi Police Commissioner to appear before the committee as we discussed the road safety issue including the recent Delhi gang rape case and the letter to the CP will be issued soon," said an MP who attended the meeting of the Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture here on Thursday.
Earlier, two Parliamentary panels on Home and Women Empowerment had also summoned the CP over the gang rape incident involving a 23-year-old student.
Cutting across party lines, many MPs have expressed their anger over the prevailing bus licensing system in the transport department in Delhi alleging it was a "jungle raj".
"While issuing license is the responsibility of Delhi government, monitoring responsibility is with the Centre. It is a totally chaotic system in the bus licensing department where the left hand does not know what right hand is doing. It is a jungle raj," the MP reportedly said in the meeting.
The owner of the bus, in which the gang rape took place on December 16, was arrested yesterday as he had managed the license by submitting fake addresses.
Seeking to change the existing system, another MP said "there is a lack of accountability in the existing system. The monitoring authority does not know the terms and conditions of the license and if the system is allowed to continue, then such type of incidents will be repeated on a regular basis."
The panel headed by CPI(M) MP Sitaram Yechury adopted three reports on eco-tourism in Darjeeling, rail safety and Inland water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi