Delhi Police Delhi Police constable shot dead
New Delhi: A Delhi Police constable was Monday shot dead by unidentified men while he was on his way to nab a criminal after getting a tip-off, an officer said.
Shivraj Singh, 45, was attacked by two men who shot him in his chest in Jyoti Nagar area of east Delhi around noon.
The assailants fled the scene after the attack.
olice suspect the attackers were the same criminals whom the constable had gone to nab, but they were investigating the case from all angles.
Shivraj Singh was part of a special team formed to nab criminals in east Delhi.
"Shivraj Singh had got a tip-off about a criminal when he was at home, and he immediately rushed to nab him. He informed another policeman of his team over phone about it," a police officer said.
A witness told police the two men came on a motorcycle. There was a commotion, and they opened fire at the constable and sped away.
Shivraj Singh is survived by his wife and a son.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'