Delhi Police for steep hike in traffic fines
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Friday batted for steep hike in fines for traffic violations as the existing penalty amounts do not act as a deterrent.
City Police Commissioner BK Gupta said the fines for violating of traffic rules are "very little and they have to be increased."
"We expect the Motor Vehicle Act to be amended so that the fine amount can be increased. If an amendment is done, then the rates can be increased," he told the annual press conference.
Gupta cited the "heavy fine amount" for traffic violations during Commonwealth Games and said the number of violations then were less.
"Nobody wants to pay more money," he said. He said the Delhi Traffic Police has selected 16 corridors as "zero-tolerance enforcement" zone and have
challaned over 92,000 people in 2011 alone.
The traffic police have also identified 300 bus stops where policemen discipline people. Gupta said 2011 saw an all-time increase in prosecution for drunken driving with 18,073 people facing action as against 11,388 in 2010.
Over 2,000 people were killed in road accidents in the national capital last year and officials claimed that it was lowest number of fatal accidents in the past seven years.
The capital has witnessed decline in fatal accidents for second consecutive year. Accidents came down from 2,104 in 2010 to 2,007 last year, he said.
Number of persons killed came down to 2066 in 2011 compared to 2153 in 2010, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Film with Alia Bhatt not typical hero-heroine one: Shah Rukh Khan
- IPL 9: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders – Probably playing XIs; players to watch out for
- Amazing! Village in China painted with 3D colours to attract tourists; See PICS
- Vital facts about Kangana Ranaut's leaked image suppressed: Hrithik Roshan's camp
- Sunita Williams, team to ensure safe cargo flights to ISS