Delhi Police had hands full at Ramlila Maidan
New Delhi: Delhi Police had not only to deal
with the massive crowd, pick-pocketing and molestation cases
during Anna Hazare`s 12-day fast at Ramlila Maidan here but
also a phone call threatening a blast at the protest venue.
"We were under tremendous pressure. We had sanitised the
ground in the morning. But that call changed everything. We
had to conduct searches again and the crowd was swelling as
it was a public holiday. A leak would have meant a stampede,"
a senior police official said about the call received at the
Delhi Police headquarters on Janmashtami day on August 22.
It was 10.35 am that day when thousands of people were
shouting slogans as Hazare was on the dais for an hour. A
stampede was what police then feared if the news of the
anonymous call got leaked.
Though police expected it to be a "crank call" to create
mischief, fears of an explosion were accentuated as only that
morning some drunkards had created ruckus at the ground,
misbehaving with police and media personnel.
"If the crowd had got a whiff of our searches, we would
not have been able to control anything and the loss would have
been unimaginable. So we went in for discreet searches without
raising any suspicion," the official said.
As police tried conducting searches, the official said,
another group tried calling the number from which the call
emanated but found it switched off. A case has been registered
under Section 507 (criminal intimidation by an anonymous
communication) of IPC and under relevant provisions of IT Act.
It was not just the hoax call, which was termed as a
one-off incident by police, but there were also rampant cases
of pick-pocketing and molestation cases - many of which went
unreported. Even a video camera of news channel was stolen
from Ramlila Maidan.
The channel`s reporter and cameraman on August 23 found
one of their cameras missing from the Maidan, where they were
in for a live coverage of the protest.
"Initially they thought they have misplaced it. They
searched the whole ground but could not find it. They even
checked with their office to find out whether anyone else had
taken it there.
"After finding that the camera has been stolen, they
filed a complaint. A case of theft has been registered," the
Another case was that of the stealing of a motorcycle on
August 20 midnight from the entry gate of Ramlila Maidan, the
There were also incidents of pick-pocketing but most of
them went unreported, the official said, adding even a
prominent member of Team Anna was a victim of pickpockets.
The official said they had taken a conscious decision not
to arm the personnel with batons at protest venue. "If they
had batons in their hands and used them, then there would have
been a controversy. We wanted to avoid it," he said.
"At one point outside Tuglaq Road Police Station, a group
of policemen came in a bus and alighted with batons. There
were protesters detained inside the police station. Suddenly,
a constable was asked to collect all the batons. We took all
precautions to avoid any clash," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22