Delhi Police head constable shot dead at city outskirts
New Delhi: A 49-year-old Delhi Police head constable was shot dead by unidentified men in a car while he was checking vehicles on the outskirts of the city in the wee hours on Monday.
Head constable Ramkishan, a resident of Nangloi, managed to snatch one pistol from the attackers but they fired at him with another pistol, a senior police official said.
The incident took place at Jonty border in Kanjhawla at around 2:10 AM. Ramkishan was on night duty along with three of his colleagues.
"A police team was conducting picket checking at the border. Ramkishan had stopped the car for checking. There were four persons inside the car.
"After frisking the two passengers in the rear seat, when he moved towards the driver side, the person sitting next to the driver fired at him," the official said.
The head constable was rushed to Braham Shakti Hospital where he was declared brought dead, the official said, adding that the four men escaped from the spot.
Ramkishan is survived by wife and two sons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister