Delhi Police not a complete failure: Tirath
New Delhi In wake of Justice Verma`s criticism of Delhi Police in handling the gang-rape incident, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Wednesday acknowledged there were shortcomings in functioning of the police but refused to term their action as complete failure.
Asked about questions raised by Justice J S Verma Committee on the role of police in the Delhi gang-rape case, she said there were some shortcomings but refused that it was a complete failure of the police.
"I can`t say it is a complete police failure. It was an accident. I haven`t seen such a case before," Tirath said on the sidelines of a felicitation ceremony held here to honour children who won bravery awards this year.
The minister, however, added that she completely supported the public opinion and reiterated that stringent laws need to be put in place to deal with such crimes.
When asked that there was a lack of consensus on the framing of rape laws, the minister said "it was not about one ministry" and other stake holders were also involved in the decision.
On the lack of implementation of laws, Tirath said community participation was important in this regard. She informed that after SABLA (Rajiv Gandhi Empowerment of Adolescent Girls) her ministry was coming up with a SAKSHAM scheme for the boys.
Addressing children in the audience, she stressed on the need to "sensitise children" on issues like increasing crime against women.
Pointing out that there has been increasing cases of sexual assault and declining child sex ratio in the country, Tirath said, "we need to see why such acts were taking place in our society."
She said the best and effective medium to reach out to the masses and make them aware about these issues was through children.
She said she was looking forward to participate in a dialogue with young boys and girls together in a safe environment to know about their views on the recent happenings and how to correct them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday