Delhi Police not a complete failure: Tirath
New Delhi In wake of Justice Verma`s criticism of Delhi Police in handling the gang-rape incident, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Wednesday acknowledged there were shortcomings in functioning of the police but refused to term their action as complete failure.
Asked about questions raised by Justice J S Verma Committee on the role of police in the Delhi gang-rape case, she said there were some shortcomings but refused that it was a complete failure of the police.
"I can`t say it is a complete police failure. It was an accident. I haven`t seen such a case before," Tirath said on the sidelines of a felicitation ceremony held here to honour children who won bravery awards this year.
The minister, however, added that she completely supported the public opinion and reiterated that stringent laws need to be put in place to deal with such crimes.
When asked that there was a lack of consensus on the framing of rape laws, the minister said "it was not about one ministry" and other stake holders were also involved in the decision.
On the lack of implementation of laws, Tirath said community participation was important in this regard. She informed that after SABLA (Rajiv Gandhi Empowerment of Adolescent Girls) her ministry was coming up with a SAKSHAM scheme for the boys.
Addressing children in the audience, she stressed on the need to "sensitise children" on issues like increasing crime against women.
Pointing out that there has been increasing cases of sexual assault and declining child sex ratio in the country, Tirath said, "we need to see why such acts were taking place in our society."
She said the best and effective medium to reach out to the masses and make them aware about these issues was through children.
She said she was looking forward to participate in a dialogue with young boys and girls together in a safe environment to know about their views on the recent happenings and how to correct them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani