Delhi Police seeks death penalty for Dec 16 gang-rape convicts
New Delhi: A fast track court, which has convicted four persons in the December 16 gang-rape-cum-murder case, on Wednesday fixed September 13 for pronouncing the quantum of sentence to be awarded to them.
Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna reserved the order on punishment after hearing arguments of the prosecution, which sought death penalty for the four, and the defence lawyers.
The Delhi Police sought death penalty for the four for brutally gang-raping and murdering a defenceless 23-year-old girl in a cold blooded manner.
Advancing arguments on quantum of sentence, Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan said the death sentence should be awarded to the four convicts--Mukesh (26), Vinay Sharma (20), Pawan Gupta (19) and Akshay Thakur (28)--as the case falls in the category of "rarest of rare" cases.
The defence lawyers, however, sought a lenient punishment for the convicts, saying life imprisonment in such a case is a rule while death penalty is an exception.
During the arguments, the prosecutor told the court that the convicts do not deserve any mercy, as they killed the helpless girl who kept on pleading for mercy.
"The crime is not only grotesque and diabolic in nature but the barbaric behaviour of the convicts was of the highest kind. Maximum sentence has to be given as the court should see that they have raped and killed a helpless girl, even as she pleaded for her life," he said.
He said people at large are watching this case and if the convicts are awarded a lighter punishment, the public will lose faith in the judicial system.
"This is an extreme case of depravity and sexual assault of a young girl, who could not survive after their gruesome attack and gang-rape.
"The act to damage the girl`s intestines intentionally leaves no scope of sympathy," the prosecutor argued.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents