Delhi Police to crackdown on drunk Holi revellers
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Sunday announced it would take tough action this Holi against traffic violators, particularly those caught drinking and driving.
"Police have made elaborate traffic arrangements to ensure safety of motorists on roads and check incidents of drunken driving, over-speeding, triple-riding on motorcycles, riding without helmet and other traffic offences," Additional Commissioner of Police Anil Shukla said.
Last year, as many as 8,526 people were prosecuted for drunken driving, over-speeding, and other traffic rule violations.
"Special teams equipped with alcometer and speedometer will conduct checking at major intersections to detect and prosecute violations. In case of drunken driving, besides prosecution the drivers can be arrested and their vehicles impounded," the official said.
About 200 traffic police teams will be stationed all over Delhi, Shukla said.
Till March 15 this year, a total of 6,809 drivers were prosecuted for drunken driving out of which 948 drivers were awarded jail term, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre