Delhi Police to crackdown on drunk Holi revellers
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Sunday announced it would take tough action this Holi against traffic violators, particularly those caught drinking and driving.
"Police have made elaborate traffic arrangements to ensure safety of motorists on roads and check incidents of drunken driving, over-speeding, triple-riding on motorcycles, riding without helmet and other traffic offences," Additional Commissioner of Police Anil Shukla said.
Last year, as many as 8,526 people were prosecuted for drunken driving, over-speeding, and other traffic rule violations.
"Special teams equipped with alcometer and speedometer will conduct checking at major intersections to detect and prosecute violations. In case of drunken driving, besides prosecution the drivers can be arrested and their vehicles impounded," the official said.
About 200 traffic police teams will be stationed all over Delhi, Shukla said.
Till March 15 this year, a total of 6,809 drivers were prosecuted for drunken driving out of which 948 drivers were awarded jail term, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves