Delhi Police to crackdown on drunk Holi revellers
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Sunday announced it would take tough action this Holi against traffic violators, particularly those caught drinking and driving.
"Police have made elaborate traffic arrangements to ensure safety of motorists on roads and check incidents of drunken driving, over-speeding, triple-riding on motorcycles, riding without helmet and other traffic offences," Additional Commissioner of Police Anil Shukla said.
Last year, as many as 8,526 people were prosecuted for drunken driving, over-speeding, and other traffic rule violations.
"Special teams equipped with alcometer and speedometer will conduct checking at major intersections to detect and prosecute violations. In case of drunken driving, besides prosecution the drivers can be arrested and their vehicles impounded," the official said.
About 200 traffic police teams will be stationed all over Delhi, Shukla said.
Till March 15 this year, a total of 6,809 drivers were prosecuted for drunken driving out of which 948 drivers were awarded jail term, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert