Delhi police to issue I-cards to senior citizens
New Delhi: Senior citizens in the national capital registered with Delhi Police will now get identity cards as part of efforts to protect them, city Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said on Thursday and rejected suggestions that the capital was "unsafe".
Kumar asserted that law and order situation in the capital was "under control" in every sphere and identified inter-state gangs and snatchings as the two main reasons behind crime in the capital.
Addressing a press conference here today, the Commissioner said the Delhi Police was taking all steps to protect senior citizens in the national capital and highlighted the number of arrests made after he took over on June 30.
"A senior citizen complained to me that they don`t have any identity card and that it is a problem for them. We have decided to issue identity cards to every senior citizen registered with us. The job will be completed in the next one to one-and-a-half months," he said.
Two elderly women were fatally stabbed while attempting to foil robbery attempt in West Delhi`s Rohini locality just two days ago.
With regard to a school student losing his life in an accident involving school bus, Kumar said the police would take strict action against people who flout the rules with regard to safety standards set by Supreme Court on school buses.
"Most certainly. We will go into details of such cases and take action. Traffic police will look into the issue of school buses over speeding and we will discuss the issue with principals as well," he said.
Kumar said tough action against snatchers was being taken ever since he took over and assured that the action would continue.
Rejecting suggestions that Delhi was becoming "unsafe", he said, "That suggestion that there is lawlessness is not correct. Law and order is under control in every sphere. At the same time, a lot more needs to be done."
On involvement of inter-state gangs in crime, the
Commissioner said he has invited the Director General of Police of Haryana to discuss the issue.
"We will sit with them and talk on how to control the gangs from Mewat. We need to control crime," he said.
On the Akbarabadi mosque issue, Kumar thanked the media for their "cooperation" and hoped that Ramzan month will pass off peacefully without any problems.
He said the police was complying with the orders of the Delhi High Court in this regard.
Kumar said Delhi Police has written to Union Urban Development Ministry for improving lighting on the lawns in India Gate as part of efforts to increase security.
To a question about the arrest of a person identified as Zuber Khan, the Commissioner said he had contacts with people from other countries. "He was suspicious. The arrest was made in coordination with central agencies," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced