Delhi Police to make dropping of BPO staff at homes compulsory
New Delhi: Delhi Police will make it
mandatory for call centres to ensure that their employees are
dropped at their homes and are accompanied by security guards.
The decision came after the abduction and rape of a
30-year-old BPO employee who was dropped on the main road near
her house in Dhaula Kuan in south Delhi.
"We will surely promulgate an order making it mandatory
for the BPOs to ensure that its employees are dropped at homes
and not on main roads. I will issue an order under Delhi
Police Act or Section 144 of CrPC," B K Gupta, Delhi Police
Commissioner, told a press conference here.
The order, which will cover the BPOs, the drivers of
call-centre cabs and security guards accompanying the staff,
is likely to come out within two days. "We have to study the
matter and under which rule it can be promulgated. It may take
two days," Gupta said.
"The employees will have to be dropped at their homes.
If the vehicle cannot reach their homes, then the security
guard will have to accompany them till they reach the homes,"
Amulya Patnaik, Joint Commissioner (Southern Range), said
the Dhaula Kuan incident would not have happened if the cab of
Convergys, the BPO where the victim was working, dropped her
According to Gupta, the accused spotted the women in the
call-centre cab and started trailing them. "The moment they
saw the cab dropping the women and leaving the spot, they
thought it was an opportunity and abducted the victim.
"They were under the influence of alcohol and seizing
the opportunity that the girls were walking alone from the
Ring Road, they decided to abduct them," he said.
Gupta said police presence is "thin" during 1 am to 5 am.
"We have learnt that around 2,000 vehicles of call centres
operate during this time. They did not take precaution though
we had a meeting with them on November 18," he said.
According to a senior police official, Convergys had
outsourced ferrying of their employees to 400 cabs and it was
learnt that some BPOs change drivers every six months. "The
PCR vans will trail the BPO cabs and see where they are
dropping their employees," Gupta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly