Delhi Police to seek life term for gang-rape accused
New Delhi: Delhi Police will seek life imprisonment for the accused in the gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus Sunday night, Home Secretary RK Singh said on Friday and defended Delhi Police in probing the case swiftly and assisting the victims.
Singh defended Delhi Police saying it had made fast progress in the case and a police control room (PCR) van reached the spot where the victims had been dumped in four minutes.
Addressing a press conference here with Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, Singh said police would seek a fast-track and day-to-day trial in the case of the gang-rape.
Asked if Kumar should resign for the incident, Singh said: "Police has done outstanding work in catching the culprits. That needs to be appreciated."
Kumar admitted there had been a rise in rape cases in the city from 564 last year to 661 in 2012 but attributed it to the growing population of the city and women feeling more empowered to report such cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi