Delhi polls: EC registers 219 FIRs for violation of model code, AAP tops the list
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: While the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) promises of cleansing the system if it is voted to power in the upcoming Delhi Assembly elections, 79 FIRs registered have been against it for alleged violations of the model code of conduct in the national capital.
The Delhi Election Commission has registered 219 FIRs against various political parties for alleged violation of model code of conduct in the city.
According to the Commission`s data, 219 FIRs have been registered since October 4, when the model code came into effect with the announcement of the election schedule.
While the AAP has 79 FIRs against it, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) follows with 56 cases, The Congress has 53 cases against it, 21 against Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and 26 against all other political parties.
The cases are registered under various sections of the Delhi Prevention of Defacement of Properties (DPDP) Act, Representation of People (RP) Act and Press and Registration of Books (PRB) Act.
AAP on Monday complained with the Delhi Election Commission that delay in giving No Objection Certificates for holding public meeting and arbitrary change in norms of the model code of conduct have hit the party`s campaign hard.
Senior lawyer and AAP leader Prashant Bhushan yesterday met Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Vijay Dev to air his party`s grievances.
Bhushan alleged in the name of implementing the model code authorities were imposing too many restrictions like ban on sticking posters on auto-rickshaws and houses of volunteers and publicising slogans on T-shirts and caps.=
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- Airtel proposes Rs 30 crore annual package to Sunil Mittal
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope