Delhi power regulator DERC gets new chief
New Delhi: P D Sudhakar, a former special
secretary in Union Corporate Affairs Ministry, was on Monday sworn
in as chairman of Delhi`s power regulator DERC.
The Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) got
its new head after a hiatus of six months, as the post was
lying vacant since the retirement of Berjinder Singh in
September last year.
Sudhakar, a 1976 batch IAS officer, will have a tenure
of five years as chairman of the DERC. He was given oath of
office by Power Minister Harun Yusuf.
Asked about his priorities, Sudhakar said he will
strive hard to bring more efficiency in the power sector.
"I am happy to be selected for this challenging
assignment. I will strive hard to bring more efficiency and
ensure uninterrupted power supply in the city," he said.
Asked about his view on fixing new power tariff,
Sudhakar did not give a direct reply but said "people will
continue to get relief."
In a service period of 34 years, Sudhakar has held
many important assignments in Government of India as well
as Uttar Pradesh Government. He had worked in power sector in
Uttar Pradesh as special secretary of power.
As DERC chairman, Sudhakar`s first task would be to
finalise the process for fixing new power tariff for the year
In May last year, the city government had, through a
notification, stalled DERC`s decision to announce the annual
tariff for 2010-11 till it re-examines the demands from
discoms to increase the rates.
The DERC, which was making last minute preparations to
announce the new tariff, after receiving the government`s
directive had indicated that it had planned to cut down the
tariff by 20 to 25 per cent as discoms would have a surplus of
around Rs 4,000 crore if the existing tariff was not changed.
The government`s notification was quashed by the court
in February describing the intervention "absolutely
unjustified, unwarranted, untenable."
All three private power distribution companies have
been demanding a substantial hike in tariff citing increased
power purchase cost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'