This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Delhi protests: India Gate barricaded amid appeals for calm

Last Updated: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 16:40

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Amid appeals for calm after the protests against the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi turned violent over the weekend, the police have enforced a complete clampdown over the entire area on Monday.

The entire India Gate circle, Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and Raisina Hill has been cordoned off. A heavy police presence is being maintained on all roads leading to India Gate and other areas of central Delhi.

Media persons and OB vans have also been asked to clear of the area as Section 144 is in force in the entire New Delhi district.

Meanwhile, the victim has been put back on the ventilator as she battles for life at the Safdarjung Hospital. Her condition remains critical, though she is conscious and communicating. Her platelet condition has dipped further - an indication of infection.

“Please stay at home and pray for her,” the father appealed.

Not wanting to take any chance, the authorities have shut nine metro stations including the busy Rajiv Chowk, Mandi House, Pragiti Maidan, Central Secretariat, Khan Market, Udyog Bhawan, Patel Chowk, Barakhamba Road and Race Course.

Mass protests for the third straight day Sunday against the gang-rape of a young woman turned violent here, leaving scores injured, including one policeman in critical condition, and turning the India Gate area into a virtual war zone.

Police and paramilitary personnel liberally used batons and tear gas to chase away thousands after the emotionally charged protests during the day descended into chaos by evening. However, the protest soon turned violent leaving over 140 people including policemen injured.

Two of the Dec 16 gang-rape accused told a Delhi court once again that they had committed a horrible crime and "deserved to be hanged". They, however, refused to undergo an identification exercise.

Metropolitan Magistrate Pawan Kumar sent accused Pawan Gupta, 19, a fruit seller, Vinay Sharma, 20, an assistant gym instructor, and Ram Singh, the bus driver, to 14 days judicial custody, after police said that custodial interrogation was not required.

First Published: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 09:26

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus