Delhi rape case; 2 lawyers engaged by accused
New Delhi: A peculiar situation arose in the Supreme Court Tuesday when two lawyers claimed to be the representative of one of the six accused in the December 16 gang-rape case who has sought shifting of trial outside Delhi.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir adjourned the hearing on the petition for tomorrow amid the claim and counter claim by two lawyers of having been engaged by the accused to appear and argue before it.
"We would hear it tomorrow," the bench, also comprising justices J Chelemashwar and Vikramjit Sen, said, while rising at the lunch break.
As soon as advocate M L Sharma, who claimed to have filed the plea on behalf of accused Mukesh to seek transfer of trial to Mathura in UP on the ground of prejudice and surcharged atmosphere, started arguments, another lawyer V K Anand objected saying Sharma was no more associated with it.
Anand claimed that he was the lawyer of Mukesh.
Earlier, the apex court had agreed to hear the plea of Mukseh that a free and fair trial was not possible here owing to strong public sentiments against the accused.
Mukesh, who along with four others, has been charged with murder, gangrape and unnatural offences, has alleged that in view of regular agitations, police and judicial officials are under pressure to pass orders according to the demands of the agitators and hence, the fair hearing is not possible.
"The sentiment has gone into the root of each home in Delhi by which even the judicial officers and the state are not spared and in these circumstances, he cannot get justice in Delhi at all," the petition said.
A fast track court has fixed the case for start of day-to-day trial on January 24 when it would hear arguments on framing of charges.
A 23-year-old paramedic was gangraped and brutally assaulted by six persons in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16 and dumped on the road. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!