Delhi rape case: Cop abused and slapped me, says girl protester
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Amidst outrage over another brutal rape in Delhi, police were on Friday slammed for their insensitive and irresponsible approach in handling the case.
A five-year-old girl was kidnapped, starved and brutally tortured for two days. Her condition continues to be critical at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences here.
The Delhi police, however, seemingly failed to control the raging protesters. Accused of failing to even register the victim father’s complaint when his daughter went missing, anger against the Delhi Police mounted when an assistant commissioner of police slapped a girl protester.
As television channels flashed the incident, Bani Singh Ahlawat, posted at Khajuri Khas in East Delhi, was suspended for slapping Beenu Rawat, a Class 12 student and a resident of East Delhi`s Shahdara.
Even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh described it as "unacceptable treatment meted out by police officers to some women protesting against this incident".
Speaking exclusively to Zee News, Beenu, who was trying to enter the emergency ward of the Swami Dayanand Hospital when she was slapped by the ACP, said she had just asked the police officials why no action had been taken in the case and the accused was not arrested.
The police official just came, hurled abuse at me and slapped me, said the girl, who was demonstrating against the horrific rape incident.
Besides expressing her anger at the callousness of the Delhi police, Beenu also slammed the Sheila Dikshit government for its failure to provide security to girls.
Beenu also recalled the “false promises” made by the Delhi government in the wake of the December 16, 2012 gang-rape of a 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist, who later died in a Singapore hospital where she had been airlifted for specialised treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead