Delhi rape: Kejriwal demands removal of Shinde, Neeraj Kumar
Zee Media Group
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal on Monday called for the heads of administrative officers over their ‘inadequate’ reactions to rape incidents and demanded that Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Delhi Police chief Neeraj Kumar step down.
Replying to claims that AAP workers created a ruckus at the Dayanand Hospital where the five-year-old rape victim ‘Gudiya’ was initially lodged, Kejriwal said that the volunteers didn’t bother any of the patients lodged at the hospital.
“Yes we did protest, but we didn’t cause any discomfort to any patient.
“In fact it was due to our protest that Delhi Police moved the victim to AIIMS,” Kejriwal added.
Kejriwal also accused the Delhi Police of failing to create a sense of fear among criminals, and announced that it will set up a voluntary women security force to help women in distress to lodge a police complaint in case the law enforcers fail to act.
According to Kejriwal, the force will "pressurise police officers to take action in cases of crime committed against women".
He said the force will seek volunteers to come forward and register themselves.
"We will be having a meeting regarding the set-up of this force on the 27th of this month and will make it operationalised by May," Kejriwal said.
He said AAP will form the initial force by enrolling a few retired Army personnel who will form the base of the force.
"The Delhi Police is more interested in serving the interests of the people who are in power and putting up false allegations against opposition party activists, so we have to perform their role," he said.
Kejriwal said the voluntary citizens force will be formed after volunteers from various colleges and constituencies enrol in them, whereby the volunteers will keep a tab on the cases of crime against women that happens in the locality and act accordingly.
"We will make sure that every woman in the city is safe when our government comes to power, we will not leave the common man in the hands of the Delhi Police," he said.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'