Delhi rape: Swamy moves HC for juvenile`s trial
New Delhi: Janata Party President Subramanian Swamy Wednesday moved the Delhi High Court seeking a direction to prosecute the sole juvenile along with five adult accused in the December 16 gang-rape case, saying the waiver from prosecution to such minors was "unreasonable".
"The age of 18 years as the flat cut off waiver in criminal offences is inconsistent with the international conventions and hence, is arbitrary and Wednesbury unreasonable," Swamy told a bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice V K Jain.
The court disposed of Swamy`s plea saying "there was no cause of action to entertain this PIL at this stage. How can this statute [Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection) Act] be interpreted by us in a PIL. We may do so if we get a reference from the lower court concerned."
The bench, however, gave Swamy the liberty to "take proper recourse" by moving a sessions court if the Juvenile Justice Board does not allow his plea on the issue.
The juvenile is being tried separately by the Juvenile Justice Board. A fast track court has fixed the case for start of day-to-day trial on January 24 against five adult accused in the case.
A 23-year-old paramedic was gang-raped and brutally assaulted by six persons in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16 and dumped on the road. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
"This crime has not only shocked the conscience of the nation but terrified parents, young boys girls and adults in the country," Swamy said.
The juvenile, who was emotionally and mentally mature, "must be" tried with the other five adults under the IPC, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report