Delhi rape: Victim needs reconstructive surgery, say doctors
New Delhi: The five-year-old girl undergoing treatment here after she was brutally raped for two days has suffered severe injuries in her private parts, and will need reconstructive surgery, doctors said on Saturday.
Doctors said the girl`s condition had stabilised, and she was talking.
"She has suffered injuries in her private parts and will need to undergo corrective and reconstruction surgery," said DK Sharma, medical superintendent at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
"Her condition is stable and she is out of danger. She has been under close observation and monitoring. She has been put on intravenous fluids and antibiotics," he added.
The girl was shifted to AIIMS on Friday.
"She has been conscious, alert and all her parameters are normal. She is talking," he said.
The medical bulletin issued by AIIMS says that a surgical procedure was done on her midnight.
"She was shifted to AIIMS at 6.30 p.m. Friday. She was stable and no intensive care was needed. She was kept in the emergency section of the pediatrics department," Sharma said.
The doctor added that a detailed examination has been done on the girl and a team of eight doctors from various departments has been constituted to look into her case.
Sharma said Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad visited the hospital in the morning to see the child.
"The minister visited the hospital in the morning at 11 a.m. to see the patient. He also interacted with her parents," the doctor said.
"We don`t expect her to stay in hospital for long," the doctor said.
The girl was abducted April 15 and kept hostage for two days without food and water in a room in which the attacker lived, on the ground floor of the building in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar. The victim`s family stays in the same building, police said.
The girl, who was repeatedly raped, was rescued when members of her family heard her screams Wednesday, police said.
The accused was arrested from his village in Muzaffarpur district in Bihar late Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!