Delhi rape victim`s ashes immersed in river Ganga
New Delhi: Ashes of the Delhi gang-rape victim were on Tuesday immersed in the river Ganga in her native village as hundreds of people, including women and children, bid adieu to the braveheart with teary eyes.
Ashes of the young woman, who fought for her life for 13 days, were brought to her ancestral village by the family late last evening.
This morning the family members started from the house at around 8 AM to immerse the ashes.
As the crowd swelled with people pouring in to pay their last tributes to the girl, it took family members almost three hours to cover a distance of eight kilometres.
The family members, including father and brother, accompanied by local MLA Upendra Tiwari, immersed the ashes in the Ganga.
After immersing the ashes, both father and brother, of the girl broke down.
The gang-rape of the girl, who lost her battle for life in a Singapore hospital, shook the conscience of the entire nation, with people from all walks of life taking to the streets across the country in protest against the incident.
The 23-year-old para-medical student was raped and brutally assaulted by four men who also attacked her male friend and threw both of them out of a moving bus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'