Delhi rape victim`s ashes immersed in river Ganga
New Delhi: Ashes of the Delhi gang-rape victim were on Tuesday immersed in the river Ganga in her native village as hundreds of people, including women and children, bid adieu to the braveheart with teary eyes.
Ashes of the young woman, who fought for her life for 13 days, were brought to her ancestral village by the family late last evening.
This morning the family members started from the house at around 8 AM to immerse the ashes.
As the crowd swelled with people pouring in to pay their last tributes to the girl, it took family members almost three hours to cover a distance of eight kilometres.
The family members, including father and brother, accompanied by local MLA Upendra Tiwari, immersed the ashes in the Ganga.
After immersing the ashes, both father and brother, of the girl broke down.
The gang-rape of the girl, who lost her battle for life in a Singapore hospital, shook the conscience of the entire nation, with people from all walks of life taking to the streets across the country in protest against the incident.
The 23-year-old para-medical student was raped and brutally assaulted by four men who also attacked her male friend and threw both of them out of a moving bus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800