Delhi rape: Women`s organisations march to Parl
New Delhi: Women`s organisations on Monday took out a march towards Parliament demanding removal of Delhi Police Commissioner and other officers in the wake of rape of a five-year-old girl here, but were prevented by police.
The protesters had gathered at Jantar Mantar in the morning and started their march later.
They tried to break barricades and march towards Parliament but were prevented by police.
The demonstrators were led by CPI(M)-backed All India Democratic Women`s Association (AIDWA), Akhil Bharatiya Janwadi Mahila Sangathan, National Federation for Indian Women (NFIW), All India Student`s Association (AISA), All India Progressive Women`s Association (AIPWA) and activists from the Student`s Federation of India (SFI).
"We are not satisfied with the removal of officers. We want departmental enquiries into the matter. We also demand the arrest of the police officer who slapped and injured a protester," Rashpal Kaur, member of Akhil Bharatiya Janwadi Mahila Sangathan, said.
AIPWA member Kavita Krishnan said, "We are going to meet the Home Minister and the Lt Governor and demand the removal of the errant police officers who did not register complaint filed by the parents of this girl in the first place."
The demonstrators also demanded the resignation of the Home Minister following reports of another rape in Silchar.
"We are protesting against the human rights violations and the government cover-up. We don`t think society has taken the problem of crime against women seriously in India," Rihanna, member of a US-based women rights group who joined the demonstrations, said.
Protesters also gathered at Delhi Police Headquarters for the third day today demanding removal of Commissioner Neeraj Kumar and justice for the five-year-old rape victim.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!