Delhi records 1,121 rape cases in 8 months, highest in 13 years
New Delhi: A whopping 1,121 rape cases were registered in the city in the first eight months of this year, the highest in the last 13 years.
Police see this rise in the number of cases as a good sign, saying that more cases are now being reported which was not the case earlier and a number of efforts have been taken to ensure women safety in the city after the last year`s December 16 gang-rape case.
The number of reported cases which stands at 1,121, till August 31 this year, is more than double than last year`s figure of 468 in the same period.
As per data of National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB), in 2011, the numbers of registered rape cases were 572, while 507 rape cases were reported in 2010.
The figure stood at 469 in 2009. In 2008, the figure was 466, while in 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001 the figures were 598, 623, 658, 551, 490, 403 and 381 respectively.
Calling it a good sign that now more cases are being reported which was not the case earlier, a senior police official said, "The rise in the number of reported cases means that now women are coming forward and reporting such incidents. Earlier, a number of cases went unreported as women were afraid of contacting police and also the social stigma which came with it.
"Today, complaints are recorded verbatim and FIRs are filed simply on the basis of the women`s complaint without raising any issue. This has caused significant rise in the number of registered cases but we are not deterred by it," he said.
He also claimed that among all the cases of crime against women registered by Delhi police, more than 80 per cent of the perpetrators are arrested within the first week.
"A number of efforts have been taken to ensure women safety in the city after the last year`s December 16 gangrape. We have set up a special women`s cell to address crime against women. But above all, we need to sensitise the society," the official said.
"Surveys reveal that in most cases, the attackers are known to the victim, which is the biggest deterrent for a woman to report such cases. So if the number of reported rape cases is increasing, it means that the efforts have started to yield fruits," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow