Delhi records season`s coldest day at 5.2 degrees Celsius
New Delhi: A day before New Year, the capital experienced the season`s coldest day Monday as the minimum temperature settled two notches below average at 5.2 degrees Celsius. Dec 23, when the mercury dipped to 5.9 degrees Celsius, was the coldest day of the season so far.
As 2012 draws to a close, a clear but very chilly New Year is expected in Delhi Tuesday. "The New Year Eve will be equally cold, but the fog cover will be shallow," an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said.
Although the weather was chilly with a shallow fog enveloping the city early Monday, it turned sunny as the day progressed.
The Met Office has forecast that the minimum temperature is likely to be around six degrees Celsius Tuesday. "Icy winds will continue to make Delhiites shiver," the IMD official said.
The maximum temperature Monday is likely to touch around 16-17 degrees Celsius, four-five notches below the season`s average.
"This December, the foggy weather conditions have been mostly normal. Dense fog was recorded on Dec 23, 25 and 31," the IMD official said.
According to Northern Railway, the thick fog cover in north India has thrown train schedules out of gear.
"Twenty-four trains are running behind schedule and 13 have been cancelled. The train services were severely hit today (Monday) owing to the dense fog in many parts of north India," a Northern Railway statement said.
However, flights in the national capital have not been affected so much by fog this year - thanks to the CAT-III system set up on the Delhi airport runways to help aircrafts operate even in low visibility conditions.
Sunday`s maximum temperature settled four notches below average at 17 degrees Celsius, while the minimum temperature was 7.7 degrees Celsius, which is average for this time of the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception