Delhi reels under power cuts, CM pulls up discoms
New Delhi: With several areas in the city
reeling under long outages, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit
Tuesday directed the power distribution companies to pull up
their socks and ensure uninterrupted power supply.
In a meeting with chief executive officers of all the
three private discoms, Dikshit said the city has enough power
to meet the rising demand and government would not take the
The discoms, on their part, informed that outages are
taking place because of local faults and shut down of several
transmission lines to facilitate works related to Commonwealth
Asking discoms to attend to incidents of local faults
swiftly, she told the CEOs to take effective steps to address
the problem and said "any casual attitude in attending such
complaints will not at all be tolerated".
Meanwhile, sweltering heat conditions coupled with
power cuts continued to make life miserable for Delhiites.
Several areas in south and east Delhi reported string of power
cuts ranging from two to four hours.
The power demand in the city yesterday touched an
all-time high of 4,668 mega watt. The previous highest power
requirement in the city was recorded on May 24 this year at
4,581 mega watt.
With the rise in demand, almost all areas in
the city have been facing power cuts in the range of one to
The maximum demand today was recorded at 4,536 MW at
4:04 pm while the minimum demand was 3,383 at 8:15 am.
Dikshit instructed the discoms to submit a list of
unattended local fault complaints which exceeded more than two
The meeting called to review the power situation in
the city was also attended by Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta,
Principal Secretary to Chief Minister P K Tripathi besides top
officials of the power department.
The Chief Minister also directed the discoms to ensure
proper functioning of all call centres by appointing senior
executives and putting extra telephone lines.
She further directed them to make special arrangements
to respond to local fault complaints during night time.
She told the discoms to make arrangements so that
nodal officer of any area could be contacted by the customers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog