Delhi reels under severe power cuts
New Delhi: The national capital Thursday reeled under severe power cuts with outages in some areas lasting for over eight to nine hours giving a harrowing time to people in the sweltering heat.
Most of the areas in the city faced power cuts due to technical faults as the distribution networks tripped due to increase in load.
Senior Congress MLA from Uttam Nagar Mukesh Sharma said a number of areas in West Delhi including Bhagwati Garden, Rama Park, Mohan Garden and Laxmi Vihar faced power cuts for over nine hours.
"I have taken up the issue with BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd. I have given them an ultimatum that if the situation does not improve immediately, they will have to face consequences," Sharma, Parliamentary Secretary of Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, said.
Angry over long power cuts, Sharma also demanded a thorough inquiry into the loadshedding.
"I demand a high-level inquiry into the long power cuts as it is a very serious issue. People are facing lot of harassment due to power cuts," he said.
Dikshit on Sunday had warned BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd and BSES Yamuna Power Ltd of punitive action if they fail to improve supply immediately despite adequate availability of electricity.
She had summoned Chief Executive Officers of the two BSES discoms and strictly told them to rectify problems in their supply network urgently as long power cuts have been reported in areas where these two companies supply power.
"There was no power in our area for over 10 hours. Because of power cuts we could not even fill our water tanks. So imagine the situation," said a resident of Rama Park area.
Various areas in South, East and North Delhi also reported load shedding ranging from two to four hours.
The maximum power demand was recorded today at 4,943 mega watt against yesterday`s 5,022 mega watt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested