Delhi residents to get UID numbers by October
New Delhi: The Delhi government is gearing up to complete the exercise of giving out the "Aadhar" numbers by October this year, with poor families set to get their Unique Identification Numbers (UID) first, an official said Friday.
In a recent high-level meeting, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had directed officials to complete the entire exercise by October. The meeting was attended by several Delhi ministers and senior officials including Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta, the Delhi government official said.
"The government has decided to start the exercise with the below poverty line (BPL) families. Relevant information about 8.77 lakh families has been gathered. This will enable the city government to prepare the ground for the linkage of LPG (cooking gas) subsidy to these families," a Delhi government official said.
Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique number which the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) will issue for all residents in India. The number will store basic demographic and biometric information - photograph, ten fingerprints and iris scan - of each individual in a central database.
According to Delhi government officials, the city government is expecting to streamline its public distribution system -- where a lot of pilferage of kerosene oil and edibles takes place -- once the Aadhar numbers are given out.
The number will be issued to all persons though fingerprints and iris images. The details collected during the enrolment process will include name, age, parents` name, address, 10 fingerprints and two iris images.
"With this we will overcome the problem of multiple identification and duplicate access to the benefits of various social schemes," said an official.
The government plans to use school buildings during the summer vacations for the enrolment purpose. The numbers will be sent to citizens by speed post after 15 days of completion of enrolment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal