Delhi residents to get UID numbers by October
New Delhi: The Delhi government is gearing up to complete the exercise of giving out the "Aadhar" numbers by October this year, with poor families set to get their Unique Identification Numbers (UID) first, an official said Friday.
In a recent high-level meeting, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had directed officials to complete the entire exercise by October. The meeting was attended by several Delhi ministers and senior officials including Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta, the Delhi government official said.
"The government has decided to start the exercise with the below poverty line (BPL) families. Relevant information about 8.77 lakh families has been gathered. This will enable the city government to prepare the ground for the linkage of LPG (cooking gas) subsidy to these families," a Delhi government official said.
Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique number which the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) will issue for all residents in India. The number will store basic demographic and biometric information - photograph, ten fingerprints and iris scan - of each individual in a central database.
According to Delhi government officials, the city government is expecting to streamline its public distribution system -- where a lot of pilferage of kerosene oil and edibles takes place -- once the Aadhar numbers are given out.
The number will be issued to all persons though fingerprints and iris images. The details collected during the enrolment process will include name, age, parents` name, address, 10 fingerprints and two iris images.
"With this we will overcome the problem of multiple identification and duplicate access to the benefits of various social schemes," said an official.
The government plans to use school buildings during the summer vacations for the enrolment purpose. The numbers will be sent to citizens by speed post after 15 days of completion of enrolment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi