Delhi residents to get UID numbers by October
New Delhi: The Delhi government is gearing up to complete the exercise of giving out the "Aadhar" numbers by October this year, with poor families set to get their Unique Identification Numbers (UID) first, an official said Friday.
In a recent high-level meeting, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had directed officials to complete the entire exercise by October. The meeting was attended by several Delhi ministers and senior officials including Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta, the Delhi government official said.
"The government has decided to start the exercise with the below poverty line (BPL) families. Relevant information about 8.77 lakh families has been gathered. This will enable the city government to prepare the ground for the linkage of LPG (cooking gas) subsidy to these families," a Delhi government official said.
Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique number which the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) will issue for all residents in India. The number will store basic demographic and biometric information - photograph, ten fingerprints and iris scan - of each individual in a central database.
According to Delhi government officials, the city government is expecting to streamline its public distribution system -- where a lot of pilferage of kerosene oil and edibles takes place -- once the Aadhar numbers are given out.
The number will be issued to all persons though fingerprints and iris images. The details collected during the enrolment process will include name, age, parents` name, address, 10 fingerprints and two iris images.
"With this we will overcome the problem of multiple identification and duplicate access to the benefits of various social schemes," said an official.
The government plans to use school buildings during the summer vacations for the enrolment purpose. The numbers will be sent to citizens by speed post after 15 days of completion of enrolment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg