Delhi residents to slash festive budget: Survey
New Delhi: A majority of the middle and lower income Delhiites would slash their festive budget by over 40 percent this Diwali season, a survey revealed here on Wednesday.
According to the survey conducted by Assocham between August and September in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, residents of the national capital seemed to be the most affected by inflation, less job opportunities and shrinking wages.
"Over 70 percent respondents from middle and lower middle income families would be forced to cut their Diwali expenditure by 40 percent," said the survey.
Delhi ranks first in curtailing the festival expenses followed by Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Kolkata.
"Be it sweets, dry fruits or crackers, the prices have risen drastically this year. The much sought after item during the festive season, gold, is in the range of Rs 30,000 per 10 gm compared to Rs 22,000 last Diwali," said DS Rawat, secretary general of Assocham.
Most of the respondents plan to gash their personal expenses or go bargain hunting to keep their festive budgets in control.
While around 60 percent said they would shop only for products on sale, 12 percent said they would buy fewer gifts this season.
The high income group has remained unaffected from the rupee fall and double digit food inflation, said the survey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'