This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Delhi schoolgirl rape: Protesters in custody, not rapist

It`s been two days since the rape of an eight-year-old girl inside the premises of a municipal school, but no arrests have been made yet.

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: It`s been two days since the rape of an eight-year-old girl inside the premises of a municipal school here, but no arrests have been made yet.

The alleged rape of the student of Class 2 led to a violent protest outside the school and hospital where she was admitted on Friday afternoon, police said.

Three people were detained for questioning for the rape while 17 others were detained for destroying and damaging government vehicles and property.
The rape took place on Thursday afternoon at the North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC)-run school in Mangolpuri area when the child went there for her midday meal. "The victim`s parents came to know about the rape next day after she was found bleeding," a police official said.

The girl was so traumatised that she did not dare to tell anyone about the incident when she returned home from the school, said a neighbour.

She was taken to the Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital on Friday morning where a medical examination confirmed rape.

"A case has been registered and school authorities are being questioned," the police official added.

The girl told the police the attacker was not known to her. The three people detained include two teachers of the school and a watchman.

Police have also questioned a few residents neighbouring the school.

Demanding swift action against culprits, residents of Mangolpuri staged a three-hour demonstration outside the local police station on Friday morning, leading to traffic chaos in the area. Police had to use batons to disperse the crowds.

The situation turned violent again in the afternoon when a mob again collected outside the Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital, where the girl was examined, and started pelting stones, damaging three low-floor Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) buses and some police vehicles.

No one was injured in the protest, said the officer.

Hospital officials said the girl was alright and has been sent home after the examination.

However, a police contingent has been stationed in the area.

The North DMC has also begun an inquiry into the incident. "We have initiated an inquiry and sent an officer to the spot to collect a report of the incident," Additional Municipal Commissioner Deepak Asthir told a news agency.

Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit expressed her deep shock, anguish and pain over the incident.

Describing the incident as inhuman and shameful, she said: "The Corporations must strengthen their existing security infrastructure."

In the past few years, six such incidents of minors being molested or raped in schools have occurred. Recently, a schoolteacher in a South Delhi municipal school was arrested for allegedly molesting girl students over several months.

(With IANS inputs)

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions


photo gallery