Delhi seeks time to frame guidelines for discoms
New Delhi: The city government on Friday informed the Delhi High Court that the process of framing the guidelines to determine electricity tariff by bidding process was underway and sought two weeks` time for that.
A division bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw granted the government plea and posted the matter for April 10.
The petition filed by Chand Jain, through advocate Sugriva Dubey, said that the government should issue guidelines to determine electricity tariff by bidding process, due to increased electricity bills.
The petition alleged that power distribution company BSES Yamuna was issuing incorrect bills and people were compelled to deposit the inflated amounts, failing which the electricity supply was being disconnected.
The plea also said the meters installed by the company were running fast and giving unreasonable readings, and the company has started issuing bills "without verifying the defective meters".
It sought court directions to the government and other authorities to "stop the recovery of incorrect bills issued to consumers".
The court earlier issued notice to the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, BSES Yamuna Power Ltd., and the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission on the plea seeking direction to government and BSES Yamuna to pay compensation for wrong bills issued to consumers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble